Sunday, November 4, 2012

What my mother taught me

Ive been watching a interview series called "The Conversation" with Amanda de Cadenet and Demi Moore. Its a wonderful series where its more of a conversation rather than question and answer (hence the name). Well, they always talk about parenthood and what they want their kids to learn. So this is what my mother taught me, weather or not she meant to.

-Ask for what I want: I sometimes would hint at things and she would just stare at me and say "cool, but what are you trying to ask me" which would force me to say exactly what I want.

-You can always make a meal with things you have: I often stare at my fridge and say "I have nothing" and then 20 minutes later my mom would have a meal on the table. pure magic.

- Its usually not worth yelling about: Every kid and their mom gets upset at eachother, but she had always had a calm way of handling things.

- Just make it: My mom has the mentality of rather than buying it, just make it yourself. Every time I visit her she made something new. I'm not as crafty as her, but I often think when I see things "I can make that" or I tweek something to make it better for me.

- Work with it: When something happens, it happens. There's nothing you can do to take it back, the only thing you can do is move forward and work with the situation. Figure out what you are going to do next, not what you could have done.

- Do what makes you happy: My mom is an engineer with a masters. Some parents would expect their children to take on interest similar to theirs, but when I told her I want to go to school for fashion and then make up afterwards she thought it was fantastic because its something I want.

All parents teach their children SO many things its hard to even begin to count them, these are just some of the things that she taught me as I was growing up, as well as the secret to the best pumpkin pie ever (cook the pumpkin down to a deeper color before making the filling)

Things my father taught me are coming up next

No comments:

Post a Comment